This survey is an extension of the preceding Kankuwuluna Explorer surveys and the exact transect of this trip will be determined by what those surveys 'discover', as in 2018 we identified this general area as being significant with our Ancient StoryLines theme, and specifically the Two Boys Dreaming Songline.
Our Wangkangurru cultural advisors feel there may be strong evidence of significant cultural habitation in this area, as it is suspected that this area is part of the thoroughfare for people coming from the Warburton River in the south to the mikiri further north towards the pitjuri fields.
We visited adjoining areas in 2018, but have not documented this specific area before, so this survey is an important part of the Songlines & Shared Journeys transect.
THIS SURVEY IS RATED AS MODERATE
See here for a guide.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BRING?
We will issue you with a comprehensive Survey Information Guide that details everything you need to know about what to bring and what to expect on your trek. This will be sent to you both as a PDF document and printed hard copy.
DO I NEED TRAVEL INSURANCE?
Yes, travel insurance is compulsory.
- Scheduled domestic return flight from Brisbane/Birdsville/Brisbane
- Accommodation in Birdsville before and after the survey. Please note: This may be twin or triple share accommodation
- All specialist safety equipment & communications
- Swags & tents
- Trek kit bag for your personal gear
- Desert silence!
- Your flights from Brisbane and any other transport in Brisbane before/after the survey
- Accommodation and meals in Brisbane
- Personal trekking equipment you may wish to use such as walking poles etc
- Eating and drinking utensils
- Sleeping bag, sheets & pillowcase. (You need to bring these items and they will be put into our swag)
- Day pack
You must notify us upon booking if you have any known medical and/or food allergies.
GETTING TO THE SURVEY
The camel team will be in the Munga-Thirri National Park near the South Australia border. You will fly via scheduled domestic service from Brisbane to Birdsville and stay in Birdsville that night. The next day you will transfer to the camel camp via 4WD.
The return journey is the reverse.
FULL SURVEY NOTES WILL BE ISSUED WITH YOUR SURVEY INFORMATION GUIDE
IMPORTANT! PLEASE NOTE
Apart from vegetarian or vegan diets, we only cater for dietary allergies and not preferences.
The survey is definitely not the place or time to 'try out a new diet' regime!
We may ask for a medical certificate detailing any known allergies.